User Interface Designer
Job Code: DSN1223
|£25,000-£30,000 (plus benefits)
|Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
|Hybrid role (remote & Liverpool office as required)
|Thursday, 29 February, 2024 - 11pm
We are seeking a talented UI Designer to help us develop our range of innovative web apps that support and empower people across the education sector, from students and teachers to school leaders, local authorities, and large academy chains.
Our core group of products are used across every Local Authority and in 20,000 schools – and we continually work to improve and adapt them to best serve all our users.
We’re looking for someone who can craft visually attractive, user-friendly interfaces for all our products. Someone who can take a pragmatic approach to the challenges we can face working in the education sector. Someone who is happy to do the hard work so our users don’t have to.
- Passionate: Do you have a passion for creating consistent, usable, and aesthetically pleasing user interfaces, whether that’s improving existing functionality, or adding new features?
- Detail-Oriented: Are you the type of person who looks at things from all angles and considers all the possible variations of a screen or user flow?
- Innovative: Are you someone who seizes opportunities to innovate and learn in a company that values creativity and hard work?
- Pragmatic: Can you work within the constraints of the sector and still ensure you get the insights you need to deliver the right designs?
- Flexible: Are you happy to turn your hand to designing emails, sales brochures or other marketing material when the need arises?
- Collaborate Effectively: Work closely with developers, account managers and colleagues from across the company to flesh out initial ideas, react to feedback, and arrive at the best solution together.
- Simplify Complex Data: Transform intricate information into beautiful and easily comprehensible visualisations.
- Bring Ideas To Life: Create interactive prototypes using tools like Figma (or similar) to enable feedback from customers and stakeholders, in person and online, to help gain an understanding of how to best solve complex problems.
- Stay Agile: React to changing priorities to ensure that the right designs are delivered at the right time.
- Build Beautiful Components: Contribute to our design system to promote consistency and efficiency in our work.
We expect to see examples of work / a portfolio for all design candidates, and evidence of experience in all essential technologies listed.
- 1+ Year of Relevant Experience: You should have a minimum of one year of experience in a similar role.
- Proficiency in Design Tools: A good command of design and prototyping tools such as Figma (or similar) is essential.
- Design Principles: Familiarity with established design principles and interaction patterns.
- Collaborative Approach: A collaborative working style with excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Proven User Experience: A track record of delivering exceptional user experiences.
- Attention to Detail: Please include an Angel emoji somewhere in your application.
- Responsive Design: Experience with responsive design principles.
- Relevant Experience: Experience working within the Education sector, or working on Edtech products, with an understanding of the sector’s unique challenges.
- HTML and CSS: A basic understanding of these web technologies.
- Accessibility Knowledge: Familiarity with accessible web design best practices.
- Agile: Familiarity with Agile development processes.
As a member of our design team, you will collaborate closely with colleagues from various departments. Your typical day may involve:
- Designing and building low and high-fidelity prototypes for new or updated functionality in any of our existing products.
- Taking part in regular design reviews and feedback sessions with colleagues from across the company, to help shape the future direction of products.
- Working with our Project Management team to plan design sprints in Jira and ensure the right priorities are being delivered.
- Collaborating with developers to solve problems, and ensure a seamless transition from design to code.
- Taking part in a “Spark session” – regular sessions where we share knowledge and inspiration with the rest of the design team.
- Assisting with the creation of marketing materials (online and print) to support our Marketing and Sales teams.
Benefits & Culture
What We Do at Angel Solutions…
Angel Solutions creates pioneering web-based software that serves the education industry (teachers, leaders, school improvement officers, education data analysts and more). Most of our products are designed to save people time and deliver powerful data analysis, but that's not all we're about! We also strive to be creative and innovative in everything we do, and want to remain a friendly, close-knit team even as the company continues to grow.
The role of Angel's Design Team is to make our products (and the marketing around those products) as effective, intuitive and beautiful as possible.
How to apply
Please complete an online application now Please complete an online application now at angelsolutions.co.uk/jobs. You'll need to give a few quick details, upload your CV and briefly explain why you think you're suitable for the role. We'll contact suitable applicants shortly after the closing date.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
We do not accept applications from recruitment agencies or similar!
Please note: We require all employees to undergo regular Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks, because we work with schools and sensitive data.